Who Are the Best Candidates for a Tummy Tuck?
The tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, readjusts and reaffirms the abdomen. This cosmetic surgical procedure is suitable after a pregnancy or after losing a large amount of weight. It is performed by removing excess skin and fat in the middle and lower parts of the abdomen, which tightens the abdominal muscle and wall. This achieves an aesthetically desired result by the patient.
A tummy tuck is suitable for men and women who are in good health. Women who have had several pregnancies may find the procedure useful for tightening their abdominal muscles and reducing skin. A tummy tuck is also an option for men or women who were once obese and still have an excess fat deposits or loose skin around the belly.
Pros and Cons of Abdominoplasty
- Abdominoplasty restores the abdomen, flattening the skin.
- Increases the body’s aesthetic appeal and proportions.
- The abdomen’s skin has a rejuvenated appearance.
- This technique will leave a scar around the bikini area.
- Becoming pregnant after this procedure can change the surgery’s results.
- Gaining weight after a tummy tuck can negatively affect the surgery’s results.
Are You a Tummy Tuck Surgery Candidate?
Sometimes diet and exercise do not change the body’s physical appearance – especially the abdomen – which is one of the most difficult areas to reduce. The following reasons could potentially make you a candidate for this surgical procedure:
- When aging, genetics, pregnancies, or weight loss have left extra skin around the abdomen or abdominal muscle weakness, or both.
- Your weight is stable.
- You are not a smoker. Consuming tobacco delays the healing process and increases the risk of complications during and after surgery.
- You are physically healthy.
If your overall health is optimal, your attitude is positive, and your expectations are realistic, you are a good candidate for this procedure.